Often people confuse themselves with the definition of a vegan and a vegetarian. It is true that both of them do not consume meat and fish. However, vegetarians still consume eggs and dairy products, whereas a vegan would never eat any food that is produced by an animal. Therefore, vegans do not eat eggs, honey, and obviously, do not consume dairy products. What is to be noted here is that, Veganism is a philosophy and Vegetarianism is a lifestyle. What exactly this means is that, Vegans behold strong political thoughts and beliefs. They are totally against the slaughter of animals, perhaps, they show their concern and respect for animals by not consuming dairy products and eggs. Vegetarianism is called a lifestyle, because vegetarians eat products that would benefit their health.
However, among these vegetarians there are people who eat eggs but not dairy products and are named as Ovo-vegetarians. Similarly, there are people who consume dairy products and not eggs and are named as lactovegetarians. Therefore, there is a different term according to the diet. Now, there is also pescetarianism, which is a diet that includes dairy products and poultry but does not include fish.
Talking about the vegans, they are against the killing of animals and further using their products. This means that they do not consume poultry, dairy products, and eggs. Their diet includes all the vegetables and any other product that is not produced by an animal. As was stated earlier, veganism is a philosophy, and it entails people who hold strong political beliefs. Therefore, vegans just don’t eat animals’ products, but it is extended to clothes, shoes, and belts also. You will usually find a vegan expressing their deep thoughts on how people should avoid using leather belts, shoes and not using fur jackets. Therefore, for vegans, it Is not about their diet, but about the importance of animals and how humans should stop being selfish.
There might be reasons behind why a person converted them into a vegetarian or why he chose to be a vegetarian over a vegan. For most people, it is about being healthy and following a diet which keeps them fit. Therefore, they prefer having what is low in carbs and calories. Therefore, consuming the white part of egg makes them fit as well as an Ovo-vegetarian. This is why vegetarianism is called a lifestyle because people choose what to eat and what not to eat according to their diet chart. Reasons other than this, could be possibly due to allergies, for instance, if a person is allergic to fruits, that person might find a replacement for fruits and would start consuming dairy products. Therefore, this is exactly what differentiates a vegan from a vegetarian, a vegan does not keep choices in front of him, whether he should have dairy products or honey, a vegan is just against honey and all the products that are a product of animals. A vegan would perhaps go around informing people that how they are mean by using animals for their benefit.
We often here dieticians talking about how everyone needs to have a balanced diet, but how many of us follow it? There is is the very small proportion of people who believe having a balanced diet is necessary. And when we say this we are talking about the upcoming generation that believes in having pizzas and burgers over a bowl of dal. Well, what is exactly is a balanced diet? A balanced diet requires a person to consume all the necessary nutrition in depth. In this diet, one needs to have the right amount of proteins, sugar, and all the other components. People get away with the excuse that it is difficult to have a balanced diet every day. But let us look at a few reasons which will make everyone believe how pivotal a healthy diet is.
- You can lose weight- one can lose weight if they cut down on their in-take of junk food. Junk food any way should be consumed the least by everyone, but if, you are planning to lose weight then having a balanced diet will make your work easier. The best part is it is the healthiest diet; it will not demand you to eat anything from outside and keep you strong.
- Reduces the risk of type2 diabetes– the reason why one gets caught of type2 diabetes is the poor eating habits or family history. Now, looking at the eating habits of our generation, we know every kid loves junk food, perhaps they get devoid of the important nutrients that their body needs. This will eventually lead into the kid getting too weak or gaining weight and becoming obese. Therefore, to avoid such situations, it is necessary to have a balanced diet and stay fit.
- Best for your heart- did you know that having a balanced diet is the best for your heart? A diet that includes all veggies, nuts, and fruits makes one’s heart stronger. This will provide you will omega-3-fatty acids and monounsaturated fats that keep your heart strong and are best for the function of heart. Not only this, but it also helps the heart in avoiding from consuming the trans-fats. We all know how much trans-fats need to be avoided. They not only affect the heart but make one gain weight very easily; perhaps a balanced diet is a must.
Reduces the risk of the most type of cancers- poor eating habits and consuming too much of alcohol and meat increases the risk of cancer. If you think about it, you will get tired of calculating the amount of money you have splurged on buying food from outside and alcohol. Think, if you had spent this money on something that was more important or for your future savings, it would have been so useful. Therefore, linking this with the earlier point of cancer, we are sure everybody wants to stay safe, and if you want to stay safe then eat healthily. Avoid excess of alcohol and junk food.
When you are with your peers, there would be different suggestions popping up when you people would be discussing what to eat for lunch. Every one of your friends would be having a different taste, but you know the one who agrees on eating everything is a foodie. That one person would eat anything and everything, and would eagerly wait for the food no matter what you people have ordered. Well, this is just one of the features that tell you who is a foodie, let us get familiar with others as well!
- Your friend lives to eat! – You know your friend is a foodie when that person just lives to eat. They wake up and start pondering on what they’ll have for breakfast, and then they come up to you and tell you what they had for breakfast. That person is for sure a foodie if they can think about food and talk about food early in the morning. The rest of your friends might ask him to be quiet, as most people are not in a mood to eat early morning and as a matter of fact most people even skip the first meal of the day.
- They know about all the good cafes- A person who adores food would know of all the good places that offer delicious food. You do not need apps like zomato when you have a friend who could tell you about all the amazing restaurants no matter which place you referred. The obvious reason is that they have been to every one of those places, it might be street food or an authentic place. They would save their money to go to a restaurant; they would also know which dish the café famous is for.
- They express their love socially too- we are all aware of applications like Instagram and snapchat where people keep putting their photos. But this one of your friends would have most of the posts of food from different places rather than their photos. We know the person is crazy for food when they want to capture everything they eat and then put it up on Instagram showing off their love. Your mouth would start getting watery after seeing their posts; you would wonder why you have not been to those places. Well, that is what happens when you have a friend who is a food lover.
They don’t care about calories! – A foodie does not care about their calorie in-take; they hardly care if all they consume is fats. They love food, and they, therefore, do not care about how much fats are they in-taking. The rest of you might say how oily the food or how sweet it is is, but that one foodie friend is just oblivion to all the sweetness and oiliness that the food contains. They would not even care if someone is accompanying them with eating that dish but they would eat it all alone.